Friday, December 26, 2014

Somebody Ran Over My Dexcom

I have to go back to regular blood tests for a while. A few days before Christmas while running errands my Dexcom receiver fell off of me. I had it in it's belt clip and was wearing it on my left side. I guess I jarred it a bit loose getting out of the car and while I was jogging across a parking lot it fell off. I didn't notice it missing until I got back to the car and found it, still in it's leather belt clip in the middle of a traffic lane. Unfortunately it had been run over as it sat there.

Over the past few days I've had to get used to not knowing what my blood sugar is between finger sticks. I gotta tell you it's really weird.

I got so used to glancing down and seeing where I was as far as blood sugar went. Waking in the middle of the night and picking up my receiver to see how I was doing. Trusting that silly thing to wake me up if I dropped too low.

The good news is, wearing it for as long as I did taught me enough about my body and it's reaction to insulin and food that I've been able to keep blood sugars fairly stable without it. Even through the Christmas Holiday and several parties with lots of dangerous grazing food available I didn't get too out of hand. So even wearing a CGM for a while will help.

The other thing I pretty sure I've decided is that I might have been believing I could do far too much with this technology. I was trying to make my blood sugars look, "normal."  I'm fairly positive that is not possible. My body is not normal and no amount of technology and work that I do could even begin to match what a functioning pancreas does on it's own.

My goal now is to control it. To be close to normal. To not be swinging from highs to lows and spending hours and days far too high. My blood sugar may not be normal but I spend far less time above 200 than I used to and I'm going to try and be happy with the occasional spike.

I can't wait to get a new DexCom receiver though.  I hope to ordering a replacement fairly soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment