Monday, November 17, 2014

Surprising results in a weekend where I ate out a lot.

I'm wondering what affected these outcomes most

  • Good carb estimation? 
  • limiting extra carb input? 
  • plenty of exercise? 
Kristy and I went to Louisville Kentucky for the weekend for a late celebration of our 27th anniversary. We ate out a lot and since I'm a craft beer fan and Louisville seems to be a center for craft breweries I sampled some craft beer. I didn't go to get drunk but did enjoy a few strong ales and stouts. 

To my surprise my blood sugar stayed well under control all weekend long. Even after the Pretzels and cheese appitizer the first night we were there. The Nacho's at Churchill Downs and the amazing "loaded Kettle Chips" at Troll Pub Under the Bridge. 

Several things I think I did right to help with Blood Sugars on this trip. 

  1. I really focused on a good estimation of carbs and didn't hold back on the insulin to deal with it. 
  2. If I added carbs in an appitizer (pretzels or chips) I limited carbs with my meal. No sides with my BBQ on the first night and left my fries on the plate at Troll Pub. 
  3. We did a lot of walking. Even though it was cold, we walked most everywhere in downtown Louisville. 
the takeaway from the weekend? You can go out and enjoy yourself while controlling you're blood sugar. You just have to be intentional about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment